GUIDELINES FOR USED BOOK/MEDIA DONATIONS
FRIENDS & FOUNDATION of the ROCHESTER PUBLIC LIBRARY
The Rochester Public Library and the Friends & Foundation of RPL are pleased to accept donations for the Library’s collections and for resale in The Library Store and online. However, due to very limited storage space, please follow the guidelines below.
We happily accept the following items in good condition:
- Hardcover & Paperback Books
- Periodicals/Magazines less than 1 year old
- National Geographic Magazines (any date)
- CDs, DVDs and CD/MP3 audiobooks
- New/gently used games and puzzles
We are unable to accept:
- Any books with mold, mildew, stains or odor
- Incomplete or outdated Encyclopedia Sets (printed 5 or more years ago)
- Books with broken spines, missing covers, or excessive writing/underlining inside
- Business and computer books, travel guides, catalogs, test prep and reference books published more than 2 years ago
- Records/LPs, Cassette Tapes & VHS tapes; homemade DVDs, CDs or other recordings
- Theses or dissertations; school yearbooks*
- Electronics, toys, or other household items
*The Local History & Genealogy Division accepts yearbooks from Monroe County schools. Please contact them directly to donate.
Donations will be received by The Library Store ONLY AT THESE TIMES*:
Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays 10am – 2pm.
Please call 428.8181 in advance to ensure that there is a volunteer on duty to assist you.
*We will not be held responsible for books and materials donated outside of the appointed times or which do not meet the above guidelines.
To drop off your donation, pull in to the private parking area behind the Bausch & Lomb Library building. Our volunteers will be on duty at the auditorium entrance; they will assist you with unloading your donation.
Please be considerate of our volunteers. Pack your donations in sturdy boxes or double plastic grocery bags – no garbage bags, please. Boxes and bags should not be overloaded or too heavy to carry. If it’s too heavy for you, it’s probably too heavy for us. These items cannot be unpacked immediately, so please use boxes and bags that are disposable or that you do not wish to have back. For donations of more than 15 boxes of books, please give us a few days advance notice so that we can prepare for your drop-off.
The Library Store will provide you with a receipt for your donation. We are legally unable to assess the value of book/media donations, but we do acknowledge the number of books and materials donated.
WE APPRECIATE YOUR DONATION TO SUPPORT THE ROCHESTER PUBLIC LIBRARY!
QUESTIONS? Call our Volunteer and Booksales Coordinator: 585.428.8351